tiggymalvern: (charles-erik good isn't it?)
[personal profile] tiggymalvern
I grabbed another gorgeous hiking day and went back to the high mountains now that the smoke from the fires is completely gone. Unfortunately the decision has been made not to reopen Sunrise this year, so that part of Mount Rainier National Park is not on the options list. I went to the park outskirts instead, and hiked the Pacific Crest Trail from Chinook Pass. Last week was Goat Lake, this week was Sheep Lake...


The hillside just above the car park at Chinook Pass.


A clump of pearly everlasting living up to their name.


The Pacific Crest Trail heading east from the pass.




I don't know what someone had dropped on the trail, but this Canada Jay was most enthusiastic about eating it. It wouldn't move until I was walking right by it. (Nobody tell Trump it exists or he'll want to rename it America Jay.)


Here comes Sheep Lake.


Sheep Lake from many angles, because it's small, but it's gorgeous all the way round.








There was a horse trailer in the car park, so no surprise to find a horse at Sheep Lake.


This solitary fan-leaf cinquefoil was the only flower I saw besides that one cluster of pearly everlasting.


Following the Pacific Crest Trail beyond Sheep Lake through the meadows.


A hillside of huckleberries.


Looking back over Sheep Lake towards the pass from just below Sourdough Gap.


Looking into the next valley from Sourdough Gap, and the Pacific Crest Trail continuing on towards Canada.




It was a pretty busy wildlife day. Lots of mountain birds plus sparrows in migration, and a lot of chipmunks busy fattening up for winter. Only one of them stayed still long enough for me to grab a photo.


Crossing the Sheep Lake outlet creek on the way back down.


A cricket close by Sheep Lake.


6.2 miles/ 10km, 2000 feet/ 610m of gain, and a high point of 6370 feet/ 1940m at the gap.

Date: 2026-09-20 04:40 pm (UTC)
solo: (Default)
From: [personal profile] solo
Gorgeous scenery.

I'm intrigued by 'Sourdough Gap'. Why? Some historical incident? Does it look like a yeast-and-bacteria culture?

America Canada Jay pwetty!

Date: 2026-09-20 04:58 pm (UTC)
tameiki: Cody Smile (Default)
From: [personal profile] tameiki
Your hike this time was so colorful, and the picture of the chipmunk could be the perfect Christmas card. What a mischievous face!

I hope the name changes doesn't extend to the Canadian Geese. OMG

Date: 2026-09-20 10:28 pm (UTC)
bymyverytoes: (Default)
From: [personal profile] bymyverytoes
Love the autumnal colours and the wildlife. sorry for brief comment. Hand has been operated on and I am in a cast. Have been using speech to text to type but it's a bit embarrassing. 😀

Date: 2026-09-21 01:43 am (UTC)
bymyverytoes: (Default)
From: [personal profile] bymyverytoes
The Mac does a pretty good job of transcribing actually ,but I find it intensely embarrassing to control my computer by voice, let alone type long comments into it. I do not fancy a Star Trek future when it comes to computers

Date: 2026-09-21 03:38 am (UTC)
tameiki: Cody Smile (Default)
From: [personal profile] tameiki
I hope your recovery is smooth and relatively pain-free. *gentle hugs*

Date: 2026-09-21 03:40 am (UTC)
bymyverytoes: (Default)
From: [personal profile] bymyverytoes
thank you ❤️

Profile

tiggymalvern: (Default)
tiggymalvern

October 2026

S M T W T F S
    1 23
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Oct. 16th, 2026 07:28 am
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios